PonyRL Forum

A forum for disccussing Pony Roguelike.

You are not logged in.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/users/d/draconic/domains/forum.ponyrl.com/include/parser.php on line 837

#1 2013-09-04 17:09:19

AceTheAvenger

[Race Review][0.7.9] Meet the Races

This is a simple Race review, all data being current to version 0.7.9.

#1 - Earth Pony.

- Pros -
~ Sturdy, which means 15% armor.

- Cons -
~ Inflexible, which is 3 less mana points.

Usefulness - 10/10
  Difficulty   - Very Easy

Overall thought:
This race is sheer win. The armor bonus is extremely useful, but there is the -3 mana points((MP))...though really, with a class like this, are you really going to use magic?

#2 - Pegasus.

- Pros -
~ Flying - which means more of a chance to dodge traps.
~ Good sight - You can see one space farther than normal.

- Cons -
~ Frail. Which means less armor.

Usefulness - 6/10
  Difficulty   - Intermediate

Overall thought:
This race isn't bad. I'll admit, I kinda wish flying meant you could go over walls, but I guess that'd be too game-breaking. Not much else to say here.

#3 - Uncorn.

- Pros -
~ +10% attack, which never hurts((you.))
~ +15% resistance, which means you take less magic damage.

- Cons -
~ -25% HP

Usefulness - 8/10
  Difficulty   - Easy

Overall thought:
Not much to say. This race is pretty well balanced, and fairly good for beginners.

#4 - Alicorn.

- Pros -
~ +1 mana point every two levels, which is pretty cool
~ Flying. You know what this does already, if you've been actually reading these reviews. :3
~ You get two spells from the beginning.

- Cons -
~ You need a whopping 50% more EXP to level up each time.
~ One of your starting spells is kinda worthless

Usefulness - 4/10
  Difficulty   - Intermediate

Overall thought:
I gotta say, this race was....somewhat useless. The race does get two spells at the start, but only one of them is at all useful, at least for my gameplay style. The extra EXP needed to level up isn't really crippling, but it can cause the game to be tougher. While the "Force Push" is a neat ability, it's only use so far, is pushing monsters into traps, which requires that you have already been in, or otherwise found, the trap you're pushing it in. Honestly, I don't bother with that except for achievement hunting.

Admittedly, I was a little disappointed with this race, but they can't all be Earth Ponies and Unicorns, can they?  This race is good if you want to give yourself a challenge, but using it for anything else...not so much.

#2 2013-09-04 17:25:13

Elthari
Administrator
Website

Re: [Race Review][0.7.9] Meet the Races

Made it sticky. Speaking about Alicorns - force push helps to herd enemies into POWERFUL BLASTS OF FORCE.  Though it requires to think in a bit different style, thus I believe that they can be seen as useless if you don't do it. Also rogues.

#3 2013-09-04 17:29:36

AceTheAvenger

Elthari wrote:

Made it sticky. Speaking about Alicorns - force push helps to herd enemies into POWERFUL BLASTS OF FORCE.  Though it requires to think in a bit different style, thus I believe that they can be seen as useless if you don't do it. Also rogues.

True, and though I do think tactically most of the time, my preferred tactic is go in guns-a-blazing. XD

I might need to sit down and play the alicorn more thoroughly. I haven't had a chance to play it a lot, but I have played it...so while my review might change in favor of the Alicorn, the way it's looking right now, the Alicorn doesn't fit for my play style.

Hm....that's what I need to integrate into my reviews. Usefulness for different play styles.

#4 2013-09-04 17:37:30

Elthari
Administrator
Website

Well, this is why I tend to think for a looong time before I make new things. I would really love to make different races suit entirely different playstyles.

#5 2013-10-22 00:14:08

BinaryPony
Retired Spam Killer and Corruption Enthusiast
Website

Elthari wrote:

Speaking about Alicorns - force push helps to herd enemies into POWERFUL BLASTS OF FORCE.

Yeah, I also noticed that the damage Force Blast does is multiplied by the number of enemies that are affected. (One enemy gets 4 damage, or two enemies get 8 damage each, for example) Coralling enemies make Force Blast do this:
Nuke animated gif
So have fun!

Last edited by BinaryPony (2013-10-22 00:15:58)

As you lose consciousness,  changelings sing "You are dead! Dead! Dead! You are dead! Dead! Dead!"
Check me out on Braingle, and enjoy awesome brain teasers!

#6 2015-10-02 04:36:30

Queen Cerali

is this going to be updated for zebras?

Last edited by Queen Cerali (2015-10-02 04:43:42)

The shifters shall rise!

#7 2015-10-23 14:08:33

Elthari
Administrator
Website

No idea unfortunately.

Board footer