PonyRL Forum

A forum for disccussing Pony Roguelike.

You are not logged in.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/users/d/draconic/domains/forum.ponyrl.com/include/parser.php on line 837

#1 2013-08-05 18:37:29

AceTheAvenger

[Class Review] Meet the Classes [Updated - 02/23/2014]

Okay, this topic will be a run-down of all the Pros and Cons of each class and on a scale of 1 to 10, 1 being useless and 10 being the best, and how easy they are to use, though that can vary from person to person.

First off, the Wizard.

- Pros -
~ You get a fairly strong spell from the start.
~ You get more EXP from reading Books.
~ Your starting spell is able to hit enemies from a distance.

- Cons -
~ The starting spell you get does too little damage to warrant it's MP cost, when used against higher-leveled enemies.
~ You get 10% less HP.

Usefulness - 7/10
  Difficulty   - Easy

Overall thought:

Being able to start with the magic missile spell is fantastic, but as the cons there says, when you're up against level 7-10's, it doesn't do enough damage to warrant it's immense MP cost, so it's really only good for starting off, and the 10% less HP can really put you in a bind, but if you can look past those tiny set-backs, this class really is golden.

Now, the Healer

- Pros -
~ You regenerate HP *much* faster.
~ You have a death-ward, which means you can take a fatal hit, and live with HP, giving you some leg-room for a major screw-up.

- Cons -
~ More HP regeneration does nothing to help you if you've explored all the map.
~ You get 20% less attack power. That can *really* screw you over.
~ Death ward only works once, so try to conserve it if you can.

Usefulness - 7/10
  Difficulty   - Very Difficult

Overall thought:

Once again, this Class's abilities really only help you early on in a map. The regeneration is fantastic, but it only works until you've explored all the tiles in the map. The death-ward is nice, and it now gets refreshed every 4 levels...but the 20% less attack can really screw you over later on in the game, especially against the champion of the level. I don't recommend you use this class unless you REALLY know what you're doing.

Onto my personal favorite, the Warrior.

- Pros -
~ You get bonus EXP for killing enemies with higher levels than your own.
~ You get extra attack power against enemies with a higher level than yours.

- Cons -
~ Your Mana regeneration is halved...but really, why would you use magic as a Warrior anyways? You'll only rarely need it, if you know what you're doing.

Usefulness - 9/10
  Difficulty   - Extremely Easy

Overall thought:

Okay, this class really is almost perfect. You get extra EXP from, and bonus attack power against enemies with higher levels than yours. And even better yet, the higher the enemy level compared to yours, the more bonus exp you get! It's a dangerous risk at times, but it IS worth the reward.

Now for the Rogue.

- Pros -
~ First Strike if the area around the foe is revealed!
~ You get the epic whine ability, which causes your next hit, to make the enemy unable to regenerate HP.

- Cons -
~ You lose half your gold at every level up, making saving up for the Fluttershy Power armor almost impossible.

Usefulness - 8/10
  Difficulty   - Intermediate.

Overall thought:

Not a bad class, but unfortunately, it follows the exact same flaw as most of the others. All it's abilities seem to be meant to help you out early on. After you've revealed all the map, the whine ability is absolutely useless. And the gold being halved every level up, makes buying any healing items, or any power-up items a really pain in your hero's wallet...but the first strike ability, is absolutely amazing, and i've always found it to be HIGHLY useful.

Time for the most utterly pathetically useless class, the Alchemist.

- Pros -
~ None

- Cons -
~ Everything.

Usefulness - -1/10
  Difficulty   - Cadaverific.

Overall thought:

Nope. Never playing this class again, the way it currently is, nor will I unlock it outside of cheating to see what it's like. Not worth unlocking. Move along, unless you get a kick out of torturing yourself with defeat. The more potions may *seem* like a Pro, and not a con, but try saying that when you get a sweet lemonade for your non-magic using earth pony, when a cute sticker would have saved your life, and won you the game.

This class is still utterly and completely useless. Still don't use it unless you want to use a class that actively works against you.

P.S.

It needs to have actual alchemy. Even if it's only combining two items to get a random item...just replace the first "ingredient" item with the new one, and count the second ingredient as used up.

And now, a less pathetic class, the Scout.

- Pros -
~ Awareness...all special objects on map are revealed immediately as Question Marks.
~ Way of stealth. Armor boost for exploring the map, up to 16%.
~ Flanking. You get extra attack for discovering objects on the map.
~ Birds fly, sun shines, grass grows, and bruddah, he hurts ponies.

- Cons -
~ Not so shining...basically, you start with less physical and magical defense.

Usefulness - 6/10
  Difficulty   - So-So.

Overall thought:

Not a bad class. Pretty well balanced, the cons don't outweigh the pros, and unlocking it is a challenge, but isn't *too* difficult. Overall, a pretty wonderful class.

My only complaint with most of these classes,is they're all supposed to help you for the start of the game...but after that, they only really hinder you.((Except the warrior))

There needs to be classes that can be hard to start off with, but if you can pull through the start of the game with them, they'll give aid towards the end of the game rather than the start...Such as having a class that has minor((1-2 hp)) regeneration, after the map has been explored, or gains the death-ward after the map was explored completely, or maybe does double damage to level 8 and up.

The only exception to that common theme, is the warrior. There's no pro or con that fails to help you near the end of the game, if you know what you're doing...and if you can get the revealing dress item as the Warrior, there's almost nothing that can stop you.

[08/30/2013] - Updated to add the info about the new death ward for the healer class.
[09/28/2013] - Updated to add the alchemist, which I affectionately refer to, as the "Nope".

Last edited by AceTheAvenger (2014-02-24 05:27:47)

#2 2013-08-06 08:47:22

Skezh
Administrator

Re: [Class Review] Meet the Classes [Updated - 02/23/2014]

Great review, Ace!
Would love to hear your review of the races and race/class combinations too.
The game is still in beta, so more and harder levels will be added later on and such input is very important.

#3 2013-08-06 17:25:04

AceTheAvenger

Skezh wrote:

Great review, Ace!
Would love to hear your review of the races and race/class combinations too.
The game is still in beta, so more and harder levels will be added later on and such input is very important.

I'll probably do a race review next, then make a big ol' combination review list.

But really, the one thing I can't stress enough, is that it seems like every class in the game is only tailored to help you start off, and none help you later on, so despite having quite a few classes to choose from, there's no actual verity as all of them have the same effects.

But, other than that, you guys have really done a good job, because all of the classes have some neat quirks and abilities!

#4 2013-08-06 17:54:30

Elthari
Administrator
Website

Oh, rogue's first strike is very helpful later on - and not too helpful in the beginning.
And Healer's death ward actually gives him an ability to kill the boss on level 6.

#5 2013-08-06 17:58:51

AceTheAvenger

Elthari wrote:

Oh, rogue's first strike is very helpful later on - and not to helpful in the beginning.
And Healer's death ward actually gives him an ability to kill the boss on level 6.

Okay, that's one ability for each of two classes that helps later on. I'm talking in general, all of the classes seem better suited for the beginning of the game, overall.

And what do you mean level 6? There is no level 6, unless you count monster levels and there's no boss that's level 6. They're always level 10.

EDIT:

Wait, did you mean the pyramid? That's the 6th field...and I played through it recently, there is no boss. O.o

Last edited by AceTheAvenger (2013-08-06 17:59:56)

#6 2013-08-07 00:53:55

The Music Cat

Good review! I personally like the rogue because the first strike is great when you have little life and you need to kill a monster that has less life than your damage but if he attacks first you're dead. And as always: sorry if you do not understand something for my poor translations.

#7 2013-08-07 02:28:30

Elthari
Administrator
Website

AceTheAvenger wrote:

And what do you mean level 6? There is no level 6, unless you count monster levels and there's no boss that's level 6. They're always level 10.

I mean that with death ward you are able to kill lv10 boss as a lv6 Healer.

#8 2013-08-30 20:51:10

AceTheAvenger

I will be unable to do a review on the races until I have all of them unlocked. That includes the Alicorn. Once I have the Alicorn unlocked, I will do a race review.

Once I have most all achievements unlocked, I will do an item review.

#9 2013-08-30 21:06:52

Elthari
Administrator
Website

By the way healer had been changed. You may want to re-evaluate your thoughts on him a little bit.

#10 2013-08-30 21:09:13

AceTheAvenger

Elthari wrote:

By the way healer had been changed. You may want to re-evaluate your thoughts on him a little bit.

Already done. I moved that class up an overall usefulness point, and explained the death-ward refresh every 4 levels.

So, may I ask about the altars? Where are they?

#11 2013-08-30 22:14:52

Elthari
Administrator
Website

They are nowhere to be found yet. This update is in progress.

#12 2013-09-24 01:56:55

l2lEC0N

If you have unlocked "Last Man Standing", can you please post about the Alchemist? I am super curious as to what its skills are. big_smile

#13 2013-09-24 04:06:48

AceTheAvenger

l2lEC0N wrote:

If you have unlocked "Last Man Standing", can you please post about the Alchemist? I am super curious as to what its skills are. big_smile

I'll probably unlock it by accident...I don't think i'm going to put a ton of effort into unlocking these new achievements...especially "Like a boss", which I already despise purely because I have to go through the Nightmare, all over again. DX

I might just download the source for the game and cheat-unlock the alchemist, just to get a review up...at which point i'll delete the cheat save and unlock it for real. e_e

Though all said and done, i'm not even sure i'm going to try to unlock it this week....i'm on a vacation to Branson in Missouri, enjoying the lovely scenery, and the comfortable temperatures. XD

#14 2013-09-24 06:10:55

l2lEC0N

AceTheAvenger wrote:

...i'm on a vacation to Branson in Missouri, enjoying the lovely scenery, and the comfortable temperatures. XD

I'm jealous. D:

But I hope you enjoy it there! big_smile

Last edited by l2lEC0N (2013-09-24 06:11:13)

#15 2013-09-27 12:03:00

Elthari
Administrator
Website

AceTheAvenger wrote:

I might just download the source for the game and cheat-unlock the alchemist, just to get a review up...at which point i'll delete the cheat save and unlock it for real. e_e

If you'd like to do so - contact me please. I can make it a bit easier. big_smile

#16 2013-09-27 22:54:50

BinaryPony
Retired Spam Killer and Corruption Enthusiast
Website

Mother of Celestia... the Alchemist class is a pain! Being required to always carry a non-consumable item and permanent items losing their effect when transformed is making the game nigh impossible to play!
I'm starting to the hang of it now... but I think the interval needs to be longer.

Last edited by BinaryPony (2013-09-27 23:02:26)

As you lose consciousness,  changelings sing "You are dead! Dead! Dead! You are dead! Dead! Dead!"
Check me out on Braingle, and enjoy awesome brain teasers!

#17 2013-09-27 23:42:07

Elthari
Administrator
Website

The Alchemist class will be tweaked a little in the upcoming release. Expect ingredient reaction to blast your enemies as well! wink

#18 2013-09-28 00:26:04

BinaryPony
Retired Spam Killer and Corruption Enthusiast
Website

Elthari wrote:

The Alchemist class will be tweaked a little in the upcoming release. Expect ingredient reaction to blast your enemies as well! wink

Muppets 'Maniacal Laugh' demotivational poster
When that is implemented... it's gonna be good!

As you lose consciousness,  changelings sing "You are dead! Dead! Dead! You are dead! Dead! Dead!"
Check me out on Braingle, and enjoy awesome brain teasers!

#19 2013-09-29 03:09:09

AceTheAvenger

Temporarily Cheat-unlocked the Alchemist. It's great for Masochists, and bullet-hell players...y'know, the guys who like to torture themselves with defeat, just for fun. XD

All joking aside, the Alchemist is pretty useless....I really don't think i'm going to bother to unlock it until the next changes to that class.

#20 2013-10-10 00:31:54

Elthari
Administrator
Website

AceTheAvenger wrote:

Temporarily Cheat-unlocked the Alchemist. It's great for Masochists, and bullet-hell players...y'know, the guys who like to torture themselves with defeat, just for fun. XD

All joking aside, the Alchemist is pretty useless....I really don't think i'm going to bother to unlock it until the next changes to that class.

Alchemist was changed. I hope it will be less of a bullet-hell mode now. big_smile

#21 2013-10-12 03:38:31

AceTheAvenger

Elthari wrote:
AceTheAvenger wrote:

Alchemist was changed. I hope it will be less of a bullet-hell mode now. big_smile

I'll give it a try someday in the hopefully very near future. I got my laptop back from dell recently, to fix it's hinges for free, but....I got it back in time for it's keyboard to die on me. So yeah. My dad is gonna help me find the parts and fix it. Until then, you might not hear a real lot from me.

Last edited by AceTheAvenger (2013-10-12 23:22:38)

#22 2013-10-12 23:23:10

AceTheAvenger

My problem isn't that I can't run the game, it's just it'd take me forever to re-unlock everything, so if there's some debug mode I can enter to try the new alchemist, and/or all the items, I can update the reviews, and probably even add a review of all the items, even on my tablet.

Edit:
Also, fantastic job with the way the Corruption now works...it is an interesting tradeoff now. :3

Last edited by AceTheAvenger (2013-10-12 23:24:38)

#23 2013-10-14 12:15:52

Elthari
Administrator
Website

Ah, is that the case? smile
http://ponyrl.com/full/

Enjoy!

#24 2013-10-19 03:37:21

AceTheAvenger

I'll try to have an item review up by the end of the next week...my tablet's browsers are all painstakingly slow, and sadly, i think my tablet is dying. It's crashing insanely frequently, even fresh after factory resetting it.

#25 2013-10-20 11:01:48

Elthari
Administrator
Website

By the way... you are playing on a tablet, am I correct? Feel free to ask for interface improvements - I'd be happy to help with them. Not so much testing was done on tablets.

Board footer